Sunday, May 22, 2011

If I Can Survive This, I Can Survive Anything.

Today we were at church.

About halfway through the first speaker, Devin told me we needed to leave. He was so tired he was about to throw up (Devin worked an EIGHTEEN HOUR DAY yesterday). I told him to go ahead and go, and that I and the kids would stay and he could pick us up afterward. With some half-hearted whispered discussion about whether or not I could handle both kids alone, Devin left.

I had Mollie on my lap and Sam sitting next to me on my right.

And then it started.

Sam started with kicking the pew in front of us. Then somehow both of his feet ended up on the top of that same pew. I was trying to get him down while also trying to hold Mollie. Mollie was squealing with delight at the sight of her naughty brother. I was shushing her in her ear. Then she started pulling my hair so hard I almost made an "I'm in pain" noise. I got my hair out of Mollie's grasp. Sam started banging a toy loudly on the pew. I grabbed the toy and stuffed an animal cracker in his mouth as a distraction. 5 seconds later the animal cracker was gone and Sam was jumping up and down on the pew cushion. I grabbed him and whispered as harshly as I could that he needed to be a good boy so Jesus would be happy with him. Sam did not want to sit down on his bottom, and let me know by biting me. Twice.

(You're not the only one with a crescent bite scar, Isabella Swan)

I was so stressed I was fighting back tears. I finally took Sam and Mollie into an empty classroom, and had myself a little cry. Sam was banging on the chairs. Mollie thought that was very funny.

When Sunday school rolled around, Sam was a good boy and stayed in nursery until church was over and Devin came to pick us up.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been thinking about when to start thinking about another baby. I eventually want a lot of kids (and some days Devin does too). I was also thinking that it would be good to have them nice and close so they can grow up and play with each other.

Today I am over that whole idea. Waiting sounds just fine to me.

5 comments:

Bon said...

you poor thing! i had no idea or i would've been right there to help! next time i'll sit closer to you guys in case you need back-up :)and my kids are 5 and 6 and i still can't handle them so no worries.

john and brenda said...

No wonder the video idea! I think you are marvelous Allison!

Selena and Russ!! said...

ooooo....that sounds like a rough one....sittling still for an hour is still hard for me to do...haha...i wish i was there! i would have helped yoooouuuuu!!! ps...you are making kids sound scary to me right now....haha....

all shiny and new said...

Kendall was a biter...people told me to bite her back & the little terror just laughed & laughed when you did. All I can say, is he'll out grow it!

Miss you!

all shiny and new said...

PS What's up with the Grizzly Adams look? Seems a little hot for the Valley...