Sunday, March 22, 2009

The World's Best Grandmother

I have the best grandmother in the world.

My Maw-Maw has been one of my all-time best friends for my entire life. Growing up in Georgia, I would always have sleepovers at her and Paw-Paw's house. She used to work at Sears, and when she would come home from work she would always bring me a new Barbie. She loved me even though I could be bratty (for example, greeting her and then asking, "where's my Barbie?" or making her take me home one time because they didn't have good food to eat).

Even after I moved to Arizona at age 8, she didn't let that have a negative impact on our relationship. My sisters and I always got letters from her weekly if not more often. I don't think I've ever gone more than a week without talking to her on the phone. She and Paw-Paw would come and stay at our hot house (old people don't really enjoy the AZ heat) for months at a time and still do (They stayed at our house for over a month when Sam was born). Most people would say, "Oh wow...that must be awful to have houseguests at your house for so long!" Not really with Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw. They did more for us while they were here than we did for them. Paw-Paw cooked every meal and Maw-Maw was my constant companion.

I went to Mississippi State University for 3 semesters. I didn't like it that much to say the least. I was lonely and far far away from my family and friends. Maw-Maw and Paw-Paw drove from Atlanta to Mississippi to be with me on my birthdays. They also drove all the way there, picked me up and brought me to Atlanta for Thanksgiving, and then drove me back to school (twice). When I couldn't get a ride to the airport to go home for Christmas (nearest aiport is in Birmingham, AL), guess who volunteered to get me there. The whole time I was in Mississippi, I was constantly flooded with care packages and letters from them.

When I became LDS, and my whole family was not very happy with me (putting it pretty lightly), Maw-Maw was STILL in my corner, talking me through how to deal with my family and telling me that she would never stop loving me, letting me know she trusted my judgment, and, in her words, (please read the following in a thick southern accent), "Well, the most important thang is faith in our Lord Jesus, so if He's still you're focus I don't see anythang wrong with that."

I just got off the phone with Maw-Maw a few minutes ago, which is why I'm so obsessed with her at the moment. I was feeling bad about something, and just talking with her about it made me feel so much better.

I hope I will be as good a grandmother to Sam's kids as she is to me. I guess I should concentrate on being a good mom first...

8 comments:

Dawn said...

you are a wonderful mom...and your kids will love and appreciate you for it...although there will be days when you wonder! What a wonderful relationship you have with your maw-maw...but I can tell she has worked hard to be a good grandma. I think in some ways it's easier to be closer to your grandma than your mom. I think Kerri and her grandma (my mom) have a great relationship...and they are more patient with each other than they are with me! So glad you got to talk to your grandma and she made you feel better! Have a great week!

Adam and Anya said...

I think you BOTH are wonderful!!!

Stacie Aho said...

That was so sweet. She sounds like an amazing women, and what I've met of her, so far, I love.
I always remember you talking about her in highschool. I HAD to pronounce her name right, you would never let up on that.
I think it's so awesome you are so close the them. What great grandparents. I'm sure it's not easy making all that effort when you're old- I totally admire them.

I love the barbie story by the way. Makes me feel a little better about MJ's brattyness- he could still turn out as nice as you!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

That is tender...you will cherish this realtionship now and in the next life as well!

john and brenda said...

I hope Maw-Maw gets to see this. How does she do it? I want to be like her! I especially liked the 'read with a thick Southern accent' part!

Brooklynn said...

I love her! She is so nice and I like the way she remembers everyone!

Marcus, Amy, and Lola said...

oh your maw maw is so sweet.

my moms comment is funny.

peachytiffers said...

That is so sweet! I never got to see my grandparents much, and I love that you have such a good relationship. Man, I miss you a lot!